I’m writing about two separate projects here that seems to have nothing to do with each other, but there was something about doing them, one right after the other, that worked so well that this is how I am going to be writing about them.
The first project is a structured bookish making project that references counting and the composition of numbers.
The second project is one I’ve written about before,, is recomposing natural materials to make images that look like people.
The first project is not a creative activity for the kids, rather it’s more about discovery, trying to get them used to the idea that the number 10 can be seen as a composition of smaller numbers. The second project, using flower petals, leaves and other natural materials, has loads of room for improvising. There was something about following the structured project with the unstructured project that really worked for these kids.
The counting project is simple to assemble, Everything is printed on a heavy copy paper. The piece with the words on it is folded into a simple pocket. I did the folds for the pocket (which is just folding up an edge on the line, and then folding in half to so it becomes a folder), punched two holes near the top, and tied a piece of yarn to one of the holes.
Here are the pdfs if you want to make this with a group of your own:
and here’s a pdf of all of the above in a single document, which will be trickier, but possible, to use if you want to use a variety of colors Bead counting all pages together
Here what it looks like assembled.
So, ten beads. Cards go in pockets, Kids separate the beads according to the card below it, then…
…they remove the card and compare the beads on the card to their own beads. This card then gets put in the side pocket and the next card shows…
…and the activity is repeated.
I was floored by how much the kids liked doing every bit of this activity. They took it so seriously, counting the beads and checking, and doing it for all the cards. It was lovely.
No question, kids love using beads.
This took only about 25 minutes. For about the next forty minutes we made flower people.
Not going to say too much about these, other than OMG. Loved how these turned out.
I photograph these, then remove the backgrounds.
Just today I finished taking away the backgrounds. Am making prints to give to the kids.
I just love this project. Kids worked very seriously on their creations.
I had plenty of materials to work with because I had put out a request on Facebook for people in my community to drop off flowers to our classroom in the morning. Tons of stuff showed up: it was awesome.
Looking forward to doing this again next summer.
addendum Sept 16, 2018
Here’s a video showing how to make the beads book.