Last Saturday a nice crowd joined me for a short accordion workshop, the first of what I hope will be a few months of these free, mini workshops to give us all some more practice with accordion folds.
The time was so short and it went so fast that it almost seemed like it didn’t happen at all. But I know it happened, mostly because I received some sweet notes, and even some photos afterwards.
Next session will be building upon this past one, so if you plan to come, and you missed out, take a look at the handout above.
This Saturday will be the same time -4 pm EST-, same zoom link as last week. I will show up about 10 minutes early if anyone want to chat, then by 2 minutes after the hour, demonstration starts, then zoom kicks us out at 30 minutes after the hour.
Paula Krieg is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
I celebrated by inviting whoever wanted to show up to join me for some folding. Thirty-eight people came, from Susan in Alaska, where is was five degrees below zero, to a lovely woman from the Southern US, where it was 95 degrees, and Canada to Florida, and even a night owl from the UK.
We made little accordion books. It went just as planned. People showed up early, we chatted, I started a demonstration two minutest after the hour, opened the mics for questions, then I slowed down and taught this sweet simple structure slowly. The last 10 minutes people asked all sorts of questions.
And then we were done.
I will be doing this again next Saturday, same time, same zoom link, different accordion variation.
Am hoping that, again, people will show up early and show off what they made from this week. Then we’ll get to work.
I wasn’t able to get to writing a regular post this week, but this Weekend-Bookend post is something that I can get to.
“I’m going to try out posting a Weekend-Bookend image each weekend which will be sort of like a snap shot of something from my studio. These posts will be images my handmade books, drawings, details of drawings or some paper engineering that I want to show, accompanied by just a small bit of writing.”
Sometimes I make a book for no other reason than it’s something I like to do. I like folding papers and sewing them together. I like working out the details: the color and weight thread to use, which folds to make, what papers to use, what sewing pattern to follow.
I have quite a number of heavy weight black paper strips left over from last week’s school residency. This paper has a linen-like finish, it feels good in my hand, and it is rich and beautiful. I wondered what kind of small book I could make. The strips are 4 inches tall and 26 inches wide (about 11 cm x 68 cm). I folded a number of accordion pleats from the center out, left enough unfolded to so I could fold in a cover.
I have stacks of interesting papers which I like to mix up when I’m making a book. I used white, beige flecked, gray, graphing, and soft white papers, cut to 4″ x 6″.
At each stage of construction this book looked good to me. This is a reliable sign that the finished product will have some charm.
After this book was sewn together it wanted to pop open all the time. Here’s something I’ve never seen anyone write about: often books don’t seem to want to stay shut when they’ve first been made. A book like this should be placed on bookshelf, fully closed and between other books, and a week later that same book that was popping open now remains shut. It’s like the papers have to get used to the idea of having been transformed into a book.
The cover of this book is two thickness of paper, created by folding over the ends. I wanted the fold to stay shut, but didn’t feel like gluing it down, so I sewed it down, and the folded over paper became a pocket. .
There’s a pocket on the other end of book, too. I sewed one of the accordion flaps on to the cover to make a narrowe pocket.
Over the last few days I’ve made 5 or 6 of these books, trying to work out what looks best to me. The book on the left is where I started. First thing to change was the sewing. It just didn’t look good to me. I had seen as description of this linked binding and wanted to try it out, so that’s what I did. I like this change in sewing (though it used far more thread: 45″ of 4 ply waxed linen) , but it seemed to me that the signatures were too thick, so the next book the signatures were made from 5 papers rather than eight (5 papers = 10 leaves = 20 pages, and since there are three signatures, that makes this book 60 pages long). All good. But then I wanted to see if liked a more colorful spine, so I tried out purple. I’m not sure whether I like the black or the purple better, so now I’m stuck, and will stop here for now. Which is good thing because I need to get ready for teaching tomorrow.