January 1, 2015!! Happy New Year! My New Year is starting out with Flip-Books.
Full Definition of FLIP-BOOK:
a series of illustrations of an animated scene bound together in sequence so that an illusion of movement can be imparted by flipping them rapidly. Citation: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flip-book
Adobe Illustrator CS6’s grid and its paste-in-place command made creating the graphics fun, once I got my system down. I’ve hand drawn flip books before, but that’s not the route I’ll be taking here, as there’s a certain type of precision I am thinking about.
This first book show hue and saturation changes in the CMYK color palette. Right now I’m not as focused on the content as I am on the structure. This post shows the journey of this one book. I’ll keep trying out papers and bindings until I’m happy with the way it’s put together.
It was exciting to see the pages come out of my desktop printer. I do wish I had a great printer, but one thing at a time.
First step is to cut the pages down to size, which I do by hand, then the pages are put into one pile, in the right order. I really wanted to see how my book would look with a decorative Japanese stab sewn spine. There’s a lovely secret inside many of these kinds of bindings, which I included in this little book.
Here’s the secret: it’s a little spiral of twisted paper that is threaded through the book block, not the covers. Here’s one way of getting this done:
My trusty Dremel drill makes two holes through the pages of the book.
I cut a 6″ x 1″ piece of strong, thin paper twist it and thread it through the book. I snip off half of it to use in the other hole. Then I continue to twist the paper. After a bit more twisting the paper tries to form itself into a spiral, which I absolutely, gratefully accept.
I apply a dab of paste to the spiral and then, with a protective piece of wax paper on top, hammer the spirals flat. Now it’s time to prepare the book block for a cover.
The sewing pattern I decided upon needs seven holes. Notice that the spiral are placed in such a way that they don’t overlap with the cover holes. After drilling the holes in the book block I pierce the cover holes using an awl. It’s lots of measuring but easy enough to work out.
Here’s the finished book. This is what I learned from this process: I will not be doing Japanese stab-sewn bindings on these books in the future. For one thing, this method challenges my Number One Fundamental Rule of Book Making, which is, Do Not Get Blood On the Book. Also, this sewing method was developed for thin, strong handmade Japanese papers, and can look awkward on Western copy paper. It looks fine in the photo, but less so in real life. I’m going to try a simpler binding next time. Also, I’m not convinced the Hammermill 60lb Color Copy Digital Cover paper (a personal favorite) is the right paper to use for this. I need to try out some other papers.
Now, if you are feeling unsatisfied with the just looking at this little book without being able to flip through it, here’s my gift to you,which is GIF for you: a GIF animation of the unlabeled pages of the book. Special thanks to Iva Sallay, who put an animated gif puzzle on her Find the Factors site, which gave me the confidence to figure out how to do this. If the box below doesn’t animate, click on it. The image should run through twice.
To be continued.